Chelsea are preparing a third bid for Wesley Fofana, although they have other central-defensive targets they are considering should that approach fail.
Chelsea have already seen two offers for the 21-year-old rejected, with Sky Sports News told neither was close to Leicester’s valuation of the player.
Leicester do not want to sell Fofana and are confident of keeping him after he signed an extended contract in March which runs for another five years. That resolve is likely to be tested by Chelsea later this week.
Despite the signing of Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli, another central defender remains a priority for Thomas Tuchel, following the departures of Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen.
Approaches for Manchester City’s Nathan Ake and Sevilla’s Jules Kounde have so far failed.
Leicester’s reluctance to sell Fofana will only increase – as will their asking price – as the window progresses, with less time for that money to be re-invested in a defensive replacement.
Watch Chelsea vs Tottenham live on Sky Sports Premier League from 4pm on Super Sunday; kick-off 4.30pm.
Follow the summer transfer window with Sky Sports
Who will be on the move this summer when the transfer window closes at 11pm on September 1?
Keep up-to-date with all the latest transfer news and rumours in our dedicated Transfer Centre blog on Sky Sports’ digital platforms. You can also catch up with the ins, outs and analysis on Sky Sports News.
- 128 exclusively live Premier League matches.
- First pick of matches for every weekend of the Premier League season.
- The best punditry team in football including Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Souness, Micah Richards and Roy Keane.
- Kelly Cates and David Jones will present our live coverage across Friday Night Football, Saturday Night Football, Super Sunday and Monday Night Football.
- In-game goals and clips for mobile devices from Sky Sports live matches.
- Extended highlights On Demand and our Premier League channel.
- Sky Sports is your ultimate destination for domestic football with live coverage of the Premier League, EFL, Scottish Premiership and the Women’s Super League.
- Find out more about Sky Sports